Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hey! Not so fast!

"...modern life is moving faster than the speed of thought, or thoughtfulness." - Rebecca Solnit in Wanderlust: A History of Walking


I came across this quote in a book about walking and found that it captures exactly my feelings about the pace of the world I am living in. Now one could argue that as one ages, life seems to travel at an ever-quickening pace. But people of a “certain age” are not very inclined to believe that age is a factor in anything negative. So being of a certain age, I continue to search for a better explanation for the speed of life.

And here it is. It may just be that our rate of thinking is directly tied to our speed of walking. If I walk at 3 miles an hour--maybe my brain works at about the same speed. As modern technology spins at an increasingly dizzying rate, some of our minds just can't keep up. I like this theory, especially because it isn't necessarily connected to age. After all, people of varying ages walk at varying paces. I also like it because it connects the mind and body, which is quite holistic.

How we walk is how we think.

Years ago I read a delightful book, If You Want to Write, by Brenda Ueland. In it, she recommends that would-be writers spend at least 30 minutes a day walking out in nature to really unlock their creative juices.  At the time I read that, I thought it was a kind of strange remedy. I mean walking is so --pardon me for saying this--pedestrian! Certainly writers need a much deeper experience as a muse. But Ueland was insistent. It was considered non-negotiable. If you want to write, you must walk!

Now, I'm sure there is a famous doctor who would "heartily" agree with this prescription. (Oh my, another pun!) Dr. Oz continually adds to his list the numerous benefits of walking. Beyond the obvious physical benefits, studies are now pointing out the mental benefits of walking--something about preventing memory loss--if I remember correctly.

So walking is very good for our thoughts--but what about our thoughtfulness? I used to have a quote posted above my desk at work that said "The devil loves haste." I had it there to remind me that when I became too preoccupied with pressing tasks, I tended to become less tolerant of those around me. In other words, the busier I was, the nastier I became. It wasn't intentional. I didn't load up my plate just so I could be short-tempered and irritable. It didn't occur to me that productivity and thoughtfulness could be mutually exclusive. But I saw enough evidence of the pattern to post the sign as a reminder/warning.

It should come as no surprise then that thoughtlessness and bullying have increased in our fast-paced world. Perhaps we have traded consideration for efficiency. It’s almost as if we are on a wild ride that spins and loops so much that our thoughtfulness falls out like loose change from our pockets.

The solution may be right at our feet! It is time for us to march forth on a walk and let our pace reset our priorities.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment