Monday, January 28, 2013

Every Day is a Gift

"Carpe Diem!
Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have." - Horace

This quote really captures what March 4th is all about.  Since we are about 33 days out, I thought it was about time I focused in a little more on the history of this amazing day. (For those just tuning in, this entire blog is devoted to the positive energy that moves us to march forth!)

I began celebrating March 4th many years ago. Initially, it was just a joke shared between two bored teenagers in music class at school. While passing a note we made the connect that the day was a command--March forth!--- and we struggled to suppress our giggles until class was dismissed.

While in college, I managed to send a few handmade cards to family and friends back home to mark the day, and to assure them that I had not lost my silly sense of humor amid the rigorous studies. When I moved even farther away from home, the cards became less frequent (handmade cards back in the days before sophisticated software were very labor-intensive) and calls became the norm. I relished getting calls and/or make-shift cards from those who might remember the day.

In all truth, March 4th became more popular than my birthday and I didn't mind it one bit. It made sense to me that although random dates are difficult to remember, a date associated with a pun--and a person made it almost impossible to forget! And so, my very own personal holiday was born.

And while March 4th is the day to, well, march forth and do something positive, it has by association made every day just that much more precious. Each day is a gift. May all of your days leading up to and following March 4th be filled to the brim with more blessings and joy and life than you could possibly imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment