Saturday, January 12, 2013

You are braver than you believe

Some years ago, I was on a spiritual retreat in beautiful Snowman, CO. The landscape in the valley was simply glorious, and I was anxious to get out and enjoy a hike. When free time finally rolled around, a few us of asked the retreat leader for some good trails to explore. He casually remarked there was an "easy" hike up to the top of a nearby peak that afforded some impressive views. Four of us jumped up and set out for the adventure.

The trail seemed easy enough, and the climb was gentle. But when we drew closer to the top, we discovered that the path to the peak was completely blocked by thick and painful sticker bushes. Without a guide, we couldn't figure out how to get to the point on the hill. We knew the path was allegedly easy, but which path should we take? We finally agreed upon what is known as a "goat trail"--a very narrow pathway that only a sure-footed animal would attempt. It was located on the side of the hill, with very little margin for error.

I won't lie to you, it was scary. The ground itself was crumbly and one slip would send you rolling down the hill in an instant to a very hazardous, if not fatal end. I tried to recall every hiking tip I'd ever learned. How to position my feet, where to apply the weight--even the "don't look down" advice was applicable in this situation. Slowly, and cautiously we made our way out to the point. It wasn't a knife edge--it was the edge of the knife.

We all made it out and back without any accidents, but none of us felt very comfortable about the path we had chosen. You can see two of my hiking companions making their way along the goat trail in the photo below. Why did we move forward? Something in us really wanted to succeed--and success for us was reaching the very top of that hill. And upon reflection, I believe I moved forward because I believed I could do it. The retreat master had told us it was an easy hike. I can DO easy hikes!
"You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
smarter than you think." - Winnie the Pooh

I  felt brave that day because I moved forward, even though I was afraid. And isn't that what courage is all about. In life, when the way seems scary, try to remember that you are, in fact, braver than you believe--and keep marching forth!

No comments:

Post a Comment