Sunday, January 13, 2013

Perseverance is a great element of success

"Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Just today I attended a meeting, where each participant was asked to share something about their holiday break--can you tell this meeting included teenagers? I didn't have much to report, so I shared how I had embarked on a new daily blog all about March 4th. One of the adult participants asked how anyone could write daily about such a topic. My astonished reply was, "How could you NOT write daily about such an important issue?"

It reminded of me of a recent commercial about teeth whitening that states "If you aren't whitening, you are yellowing." This is a shadow of the more emphatic quote from the movie Shawshank Redemption, "Either get busy living or get busy dying." To me, this means you are either heading in one direction, or you are heading in the other. There is no standing still. There is no status quo. If this true, then I personally choose to march forth.

As I write this, I realize just how overly dramatic I sound. But as if to reaffirm my conviction in the power of positively moving forward, when I returned home from the meeting I opened my latest issue of The Intelligent Optimist magazine and saw that the issue was devoted to the topic of persistence! In fact, the Longfellow quote is from an article in that issue.

Since I have only begun this blogging journey, history may prove my esteemed colleague right. I may find myself running out of things to say. But I just don't see it. Everyday can serve as a reminder of the power of positive thinking that is inherent in the celebration of March 4th. So, happy marching forth!

PS--In addition to the Shawshank Redemption, other movies that vividly portray persistence include Amazing Grace and the new Lincoln movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment